The Hubbs Microfilm Room
This is the space in the Gale Family Library where researchers can access microfilmed items from the collection, including newspapers, death certificates, Twin Cities city directories, and microfilmed archive/manuscript collections.
(Interested in making an appointment in the main Weyerhauser Reading Room, instead? Visit https://mnhs.libcal.com/reserve/readingroom)
These machines are for viewing materials only and are not connected to a printer or scanner. There are 2 shared reader-printers and one shared scanner that are reserved for brief use (35 cents per print/scan) or researchers may use a camera without a flash. There is usually same-day availability for viewers.
These microfilm readers are connected to a printer to make paper copies from microfilm. The price is 35 cents per print.
These machines are connected to a computer to adjust poor quality images or for easily reading small print. Researchers may scan from the microfilm to a USB drive (we recommend bringing your own USB). The price is 35 cents per scan. These machines are in the highest demand.
All stations have wifi access for personal devices through "MHS Public," and no wifi password is required while in the Library.
- See the main page of our appointment system for more information
How to use the Schedule Grid:
- Scroll down to see the schedule grid. It defaults to the current day.
- For the next day with available appointments, click the Next Available button
- For available appointments on a particular day, click the Go To Date button and select a day on the calendar.
- For a description of a particular station, click on the blue "Info" button next to its name.
- To make an appointment, select an available (green) appointment time so that it turns yellow, then scroll beneath the calendar grid and click Submit Times. Then enter all required information and click Submit My Booking.
- To correct a booking error message (usually too many, too frequent, or concurrent appointments), scroll down to the list of appointments below the schedule grid until you see the list of appointment times selected. Then click the trashcan icon to remove one or more appointment.
- Appointments open automatically and on a rolling basis
- The Library is open for in-person research Thursday through Saturday (10am to 4pm).
- Self service appointments close 24 hours before the start of the appointment. If you are trying to make an appointment within 24 hours, please call us at 651-259-3300 for assistance.
- If you have a true research emergency (e.g. an immediate court filing deadline) and cannot find an appointment time, call us at 651-259-3300. We will do our best to help you.
- If you do not have an emergency, please check the scheduling site again or call for assistance; if a researcher cancels their appointment it will open back up for another researcher to claim.